1. Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, 646 W 131st St., Harlem. Huge, crowded, hard to get seated for dinner on the weekend, awesome.
2. Bar BQ, 689 6th Ave. (at 20th), Brooklyn. More of a bar, this place makes the list because it’s a block from my apartment and good people work there.
3. Virgil’s, 152 W. 44th St., Times Square. If you must eat in Times Square, eat here.
4. Hill Country, 30 W. 26th St. (near Broadway), Manhattan. They only have one kind of sauce, but it’s really good. Do not get suckered by the weird meat-by-the-pound ticket system.
5. Spanky’s, 127 W. 43rd St., Times Square. A suitable standby if Virgil’s is too crowded.